Daniel Penny in Police Custody Over The Death of Jordan Neely: Jordan Neely’s murderer, Daniel Penny, has come forward to answer for his crimes.
A charge of second-degree manslaughter will be brought against Daniel Penny, a 24-year-old Marine veteran who choked and murdered a homeless man on the tube last week. Penny is scheduled to appear in Manhattan Criminal Court on Friday.
In a statement, the Manhattan district attorney’s office announced that Mr. Penny will face charges in the death of Jordan Neely. Daniel Penny will be detained on suspicion of second-degree manslaughter, according to the statement. We won’t be able to share any further details until after his arraignment in Manhattan Criminal Court, which is scheduled to happen tomorrow.
On May 1, Mr. Penny ran into Mr. Neely, 30, on a F train, and choked him to death. Although Mr. Neely was yelling at passengers, witnesses reported to the police, there has been no proof that he really assaulted anyone. Mr. Penny was questioned by the police but was first let go without being charged. A four-minute video of the altercation on the F train shows Mr. Penny strangling Mr. Neely and continuing to hold on for an additional 50 seconds after Mr. Neely stopped trying. Protests were sparked by the video, and the Manhattan district attorney’s office promptly started an investigation.
Why His Daniel Penny Arrested?
Mr. Penny’s swift arrest had been demanded by several municipal officials, legislators, and supporters of New Yorkers dealing with homelessness and mental illness. They said that Mr. Neely’s murder served as a stark reminder of the city’s neglect of its weakest and most marginalized citizens. While Mr. Penny’s actions angered some New Yorkers and shocked others, others thought about their grievances with and worries about the city’s subway system. Though crime rates are greater than they were before to the epidemic, when ridership numbers were higher, the number of severe felonies committed on the tube has decreased in recent months.
Before determining whether to file charges, the district attorney’s office had stated that it was considering a number of different reasons. Doug Cohen, a spokesman for the agency, said in a statement that as part of the “rigorous ongoing investigation, we will review the medical examiner’s report, assess all available video and photo footage, identify and interview as many witnesses as possible, and obtain additional medical records.”
However, the fact that the office confirmed its intention to prosecute Mr. Penny meant that it had decided it had sufficient evidence to set up his surrender. To move on with a felony case against Mr. Penny, who was raised on Long Island and has no prior convictions, the agency will still need to get a grand jury indictment. The inquiry is being led by seasoned homicide prosecutor Joshua Steinglass, according to the district attorney’s office. In the trial against the family company of former President Donald J. Trump, Mr. Steinglass assisted in organizing the trial team.
To convict Mr. Penny of second-degree manslaughter, sometimes known as reckless homicide, the prosecution must demonstrate that he knew the chokehold might kill Mr. Neely yet acted carelessly in continuing to employ it. Mr. Penny faces a maximum sentence of 15 years in prison if found guilty.